In this episode of What You’re Craving, Molly connects again with clinical psychologist Dr. Alisa Kriegel. Today, they discuss the importance of self-care in regulating the nervous system and how to identify the tools to get into a calmer state.
There is sometimes a misconception that self-care is an act of selfishness but in reality, is an act of self-love. Being present and enjoying the moment is one of the most important exercises to calm the nervous system. But it’s a practice. And as with every practice, it takes time.
An important component of this topic that needs to be addressed is multitasking. Multitasking has a considerable impact on the nervous system, and it makes us uncomfortable, even if we don’t realize it. People do many things at once due to various reasons, but the main one is fear of not being productive. We are inherently used to chaos, and sometimes we forget to take a break, despite being extremely important for the nervous system. Tune in to learn more!
- “Self-care starts with the hardest place to be: yourself.”
- “We all have responsibility for self-care and for putting ourselves first in terms of what we need to be effective in the world to feel good.”
About Dr. Alisa Kriegel
Dr. Alisa Kriegel is a clinical psychologist with over twenty-five years of experience. She has a private practice in New York City, working with individual adults and couples. She has extensive training in DBT and Mindfulness. Dr. Kriegel’s podcast “Let’s Talk About Sex, Really” can be found on all major platforms. Her memoir, “Take the Fear with You and Jump” is set to come out in Fall 2024.
Connect with Dr. Alisa Kriegel
Podcast: Let’s Talk about Sex, Really
About Molly Carmel
Molly is a leading addiction and eating disorder therapist and the founder of the BeaconProgram, which offers individual and group solutions to help people break free from their destructive relationships with food and dieting. She is also the author of ‘Breaking up with Sugar’ and the host of ‘What You’re Craving’ Podcast.
Connect with Molly
- Sign up for CAMP SELF-CARE (July 26th – 29th) – find what may be the missing link for you to be living the life you deserve – learn more at: mollycarmel.com/camp-self-care. Use CODE “ALISA10” for 10% OFF!
- Join my mailing list for info (+ discount!) on our SELF-LOVE CAMP coming in August, my Sunday Love Letter, and a free mini masterclass: mollycarmel.com/signup
- You can purchase the Breaking Up with Sugar course here: mollycarmel.com/buws
- Become a part of the Breaking Up with Sugar FB Group: facebook.com/groups/buwsbook
Come hang with me on social media!