Join this episode of What You’re Craving as Molly chats with Michelle Shapiro about how the nervous system affects our relationship with food. Michelle Shapiro is a Registered Dietitian with an integrative and functional approach, and today she explains more about this concept and why it is so important to understand this mind-body connection.
Michelle shares that when someone comes to her with symptoms of a chronic illness, the first thing she does is stabilize the environment in which that person lives instead of jumping to adjusting the person’s diet or eliminating their favorite foods. That is what she did with Molly. For instance, she encouraged Molly to focus on breathing techniques and less screen time to treat her symptoms.
Michelle also talks about how the mind and the body are intimately intertwined and that food is just a component of how they correspond. Also, sometimes the nervous system can impact different diagnoses, such as binge-eating disorder. On that note, Michelle explains that our brain wants short-term results instead of long-term results, which is why binge eating makes so much sense for many people. Tune in to learn more!
- “Food is not the game. Food is a piece of the puzzle, and it can be extremely healing or extremely instigating.”
- “Binge-eating is caused by physical symptoms just as much as it’s caused by mental conversations.”
- “There is no healing if your nervous system is not regulated.”
About Michelle Shapiro
Michelle Shapiro is an Integrative/ Functional Registered Dietitian from NYC with 8+ years of experience serving over 1000 clients to reverse their anxiety, heal longstanding gut issues and approach weight loss lovingly and in a body-neutral way. Michelle, in her work, aims to bridge the gap for clients between functional nutrition and body positivity.
Connect with Michelle Shapiro
Podcast: Quiet the Diet
About Molly Carmel
Molly is a leading addiction and eating disorder therapist and the founder of the BeaconProgram, which offers individual and group solutions to help people break free from their destructive relationships with food and dieting. She is also the author of ‘Breaking up with Sugar’ and the host of ‘What You’re Craving’ Podcast.
Connect with Molly
- Sign up for CAMP SELF CARE – find what may be the missing link for you to be living the life you deserve – learn more at: mollycarmel.com/camp-self-care
- Join my mailing list for info (+ discount!) on our SELF LOVE CAMP coming in August, my Sunday Love Letter, and a free mini masterclass: mollycarmel.com/signup
- You can purchase the Breaking Up with Sugar course here: mollycarmel.com/buws
- Become a part of the Breaking Up with Sugar FB Group: facebook.com/groups/buwsbook
Come hang with me on social media!